Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ive got Hub slop on my Hilux 4X4 why( Ive just done a full rebuild)?

Ok Ive got a 1996 hilux 2.8 d just done the hub up ie new bearings seal kit cv joints etc . Now the only thing I may have done wrong is I didnt have the SST (Special service tool) from toyota to perfectly ajust the axle shaft but even my local toyota place does have one ! . Apart from that I used correct torque setting and even used spring scales to measure friction as discribed in the manuals , I used two thickish shimes on top and two on the bottom this gave me the 3-6 kg rotational friction i required to keep the manual happy . SO whats causing the slight slop when holding the top and bottom of the wheel ? is my ball joint worn out ? did I use to many shimes ? and is a little slop normal or dangerous ?Ive got Hub slop on my Hilux 4X4 why( Ive just done a full rebuild)?
Slight slop? Did you notice this before or after you drove it. If before ,you need to determine if it's the wheel bearing or not. If it's the bearing you need to seat the bearing fully before setting the pre-load on it. Try driving a short distance and repeating the pre-load adjustment. If it's not in the bearing, other parts may need to be replaced. A little slop,less than a 64th at the top of the tire, is not dangerous. Slightly more will show up on the tire's as uneven wear. Much more than that should be found and repaired.The proper socket for the W/B nuts are usually available from most auto parts stores,in the US. Good to have if you are planing to keep the truck.Ive got Hub slop on my Hilux 4X4 why( Ive just done a full rebuild)?
Turned out to be the shimmes in the swivel hub where to large allowing some play , Its anoying cos the workshop manuals specify you do it this way and I did and it still got messed up . Thanks David for your reply

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment