Sunday, January 1, 2012

How do I care for my 2 chinchillas so that they're happy?

-I clean the cage about once every week - 2 weeks.


-They get a 15 min dust bath every time the cage is cleaned.


-Fresh water and food is given daily.


-I give them one raisin each no more than once a day.


-They have an exercise wheel in their cage, chew toys, and a swing.


-The cage is in the basement against a wall, so it's an environment with a cool temperature for them.





Do you think they're happy with this, what can i do to improve? (For some reason I feel bad for them and that they're not liking their home!)|||My chinchilla likes a lot of human activity around - I always figured to them it was like watching TV or something, and with more human activity and touch they become more sociable. So I'd move your chinchillas up somewhere other than the basement where they might not be seen too often and put them somewhere that they see lots of people.





Depending on the size of their cage, they also might need more exercise. I let mine out in one room at night when I get home from work about a half hour or hour and he likes exploring and causing trouble. Also he'll come over and get to know me during this time. If you are going to let them out of their cage, I suggest after work because they are just starting to wake up and become active - if I do it in the middle of the day, he just wants to curl up and sleep somewhere after he runs around for 10 minutes. At night, he'll explore for the entire time.





I'd also give them their dustbath more frequently than once a week or two weeks - I give mine his about every 3-4 days.





And they will become social creatures if you treat them right. Mine doesnt like to be held, but he loves to be petted.|||Your doing everything right, except they should have a dust bath 2-3 times a week. They should have free choice of timothy hay daily. Try giving them different treats so their not eating the same thing. You can give them dried blueberries, dried cranberries, dried cherries, cheerios, small piece of apple and original posted shredded wheat's cereal. They should have at least 2 hours of playtime outside the cage. They need interaction with you, as much as possible. Give them toys to play with and other things in their cage. I think their happy, but they need more things.





Email me for more ideas or websites if you'd like.|||maybe their just homesick..?


loll you should play with them more

No comments:

Post a Comment