Sunday, January 8, 2012

I have a 10 gallon tank. Do I need a bio wheel?

I have 2 faily large veil tails (I think) goldfish. Will a model 200 bio wheel be an advantage or not?? The fish are thriving and happy for 6 months now. I don't know ifI should change anything at this point.|||Goldfish are dirty dirty fish and ammonia levels with 2 goldies in a 10 gallon will rise quickly. Especally as they are large. A proper filter is definitly needed soon (or a larger tank).





Instead of a bio wheel though (I don't particularly like them) I suggest getting an "Aqua Clear" . Works so much better and slightly more expensive at first, but the cartridges are much cheaper in the long run. good luck|||When you bought a 10 gallon tank, i assume you bought the set with the light, filter, and some other stuff some pet stores supply. If your fish are thriving i dont think you need a new filter, rather a new tank. You say you have 2 large goldfish so i suggest a 30 gallon tank set. Its about 100 dollars give or take 10 bucks. It comes with the light, heater, filter, and any other stuff your pet store gives. I think its a good deal.|||Ohhhhhhh no, no, no. A Biowheel isn't safe period and is over-doing it in a 10 gallon. Too many fish end up getting out of the tank and dying because of biowheels...And you don't need that kind of heavy-duty filtration for a 10 gallon. An over the tank filter, like a TopFin 10 would be just fine and should do a fabulous job. I don't recommend the Tetra filter, I've tried it and compared to the TopFin, it's weak. Just follow the instructions carefully and you should be set! By the way, I love Fantails... I had a couple myself in a 10 gallon with a TopFin filter. It was great.|||You do NOT need a bio-wheel,though it won't hurt,either. They just seem to be an extra that is not really important.|||What you need is a 30 gallon tank with a really good filter. For two large veiltails, that 10 gallon is too small. It sounds like you're doing a good job so far with keeping the water quality good, but there's more to giving adequate space than water quality. It's also about stunting. A small space like this will cause their internal organs and skeletal structure to grow distorted and this just isn't fair to the fish. So, I would suggest that, instead of sinking your money into a bio-wheel, use that money instead for a larger tank with an excellent filter. Goldfish require filtration that is 10x the size of the tank. So, if you got a 30 gallon tank, you would need a filter that pumps 300 gph. That wasn't exactly the answer you wanted to your question, but it's really what you should do. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment